Cancer and Autoimmune Disorders
CE Available: 1
CME Coming Soon!
Presented by: Dennis Abbott, DDS
CE Available: 1
- The learner will understand and appreciate the need for dentistry and oral medicine as essential elements in comprehensive cancer care through introduction of some of the most common oral health challenges faced by patients undergoing treatment for cancer.
- The learner will have knowledge of how systemic health can be affected by untreated or under-treated oral conditions in patients with short-term and long-term immunosuppression.
- The learner will be familiar with some methods for management of common oral issues confronting individuals with cancer and understand how successful treatment and care can impact quality of life in these patients.
Dennis M. Abbott, D.D.S. is the founder and CEO of Dental Oncology Professionals, an oral medicine practice based in Dallas, Texas dedicated to care for the unique dental and oral health needs of individuals battling cancer. Dr. Abbott holds a Bachelor of Arts in biology from Rice University in Houston, and is an honor graduate of Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas. After dental school, Dr. Abbott studied immunology, microbiology, and oral medicine at the School of Dental Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo. In addition to private practice, he is a member of the dental oncology medical staff at Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center and Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. Dr. Abbott also serves as a consultant to the national American Cancer Society in the development of oral monitoring guidelines for post-treatment cancer survivors. He is the previous recipient of the Dentist Scientist Award and the National Research Service Award, both granted by the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Abbott is a guest author for many national dental publications on the subject of dental oncology and is a sought-after lecturer on the topics of dental oncology, oral cancer, the role of oral health in systemic wellness, and antioxidants and oxidative stress in the oral health care of patients with cancer.
- Oral Abnormalities or Oral Cancer (Screening)
- Oral Pharyngeal Cancer and HPV
- Oral Management for the Cancer Patient
- Oral Disorders Related to Autoimmune Disorders
How to obtain CE Credit
For courses that are available for Dental Continuing Education Credit (CE), you must watch the full recording (skipping ahead will not count). Once you have watched the full recording, the CE code will automatically populate within your AAOSH dashboard under the "Continuing Education" tab. This continuing education area will keep track of all CE received from AAOSH online courses.
How to obtain CME Credit
Continuing Medical Education Credit (CME) is coming soon!